“We’ve found cheap flights from Turkey,” we said. “We’re coming to Italy.”
You know, when an Italian friend and a world traveller both wonder who on earth you’re flying from Turkey with, it starts to make you a bit nervous – especially when you’re not keen on flying in the first place – so we were both a little bit relieved to arrive at Istanbul’s Sabiha Gökçen Airport and see the check-in desk for our flight. At least we now knew that the airline existed.
And then to actually see the plane and be able to board it, well, things were definitely looking up a little. Now we just had to hope we were going to manage a flight from Istanbul to Rome in one piece. We were still confused about something, though. We booked with Blu-Express and everywhere we looked, it said Blue Panorama.
…They use the same fleet of planes for both companies, meaning we had a really comfortable flight with loads of leg room. Cabin crew also wear the same smart uniforms, so we felt like we were on an expensive flight. The only give-away that we were on a cheap flight was the turn around time. No sooner had we all taken our seats and belted up, we were taxiing to the runway and up into the air.
After you’ve spent ten fabulous days in Italy, eating (lots of eating), drinking and being in the company of friends, you go to the airport in Rome and board the flight…
…and two hours later, your Blu-Express pilot has flown you safely over the mountains of Greece and back to Turkey, to our favourite city in the world, Istanbul.
Flying To & From Turkey – Useful Information
- Blu-Express currently fly 5 days a week between Istanbul and Rome.
- The company use Sabiha Gökçen Airport in Istanbul and Rome’s main airport, Fiumicino.
- As with most low-cost airlines, you pay extra for baggage. We’ve now got this down to a fine art and managed to pack everything in one rucksack, just to keep costs as low as possible.
- We are a blog about Turkey, so we’d also point out that if you want to do some price comparisons, Turkey’s low-cost airline, Pegasus, also ply this route. They fly daily and use the same airports. Try our search tool to find the best deals on flights to and from Turkey.
- We flew out of season and paid 100 Euros each, return. As you might expect, summer prices are much more expensive than this.