When our friends were here a couple of weeks back, they were thinking of something different to do for the day. We'd spent a good bit of time with them around the pool of the Yacht Classic, where they were staying. They'd had their annual Ölü Deniz fix by spending the day on Belcekiz Beach. We'd had the fabulous day at the Olive Garden in the village of Kabak. What next? Now it was the turn of Çalış Beach...and Şat Beach Club is just the sort of place they like.
Our sunbeds at Şat - before we sat on them!I'll hold my hands up here and admit that I'm not a big fan of entering the Mediterranean from this little stretch of coast. I prefer shingle to sand, so Çalış Beach has got that going for it - but the sea is just so choppy in the daytime. But swimming at Şat Beach Club is slightly helped by the boom they use to section the area off, so the odd dip becomes a bit more feasible for me.
Cushions and loungers on the grassy areaThere's a pleasant beach bar area at Şat where you can sit in the shade or the waiters wander along the boardwalk of the beach from time to time so you can order food and drink from your sunbed.
But with the minuses come the pluses. The choppy waters of Çalış Beach are due to the near-constant breezes that have been such a relief to the system during this year's humid Fethiye summer. We're not ones for lying in the sun (whereas our friends are) but the act of sunbathing almost borders on pleasurable for us in Çalış - and Şat does have great views back to Fethiye and across to Şovalye Island.
Bar area of Şat Beach Club
Now, the food menu is pricey for us so we've never eaten here. But you know us. We're not ones to take advantage of these facilities without having a little drink. So, after a quick swim and a lie in the sun for a short while to dry off, it's to the shade of the beach bar for an ice cold Efes Pilsen (leaving our friends fast asleep on their sunbeds).
Şat Beach Club - Useful Information
- Şat Beach Club is at the far end of Çalış Beach, nearest to Fethiye. At the main entrance to Çalış Beach, turn left and keep going until you can get no further. View on map
- If you're arriving by car, take the left at the junction to the beach entrance and keep going to the end, where you'll come to the Şat Beach Club car park.
- As of summer 2012, use of the beach area is 5 Lira.
- The beach bar is fully stocked with both alcoholic and soft drinks and also sells hot drinks and ice-creams.
- There's a children's play park for bored kids.
- Snacks are served all day.
- The restaurant menu is a la carte and the outdoor terrace has fabulous views over towards Fethiye, especially at night.