Ölüdeniz is famous for a good reason – it’s stunningly beautiful. Here are just 10 reasons to visit Ölüdeniz near Fethiye…
1. Ölüdeniz is breathtakingly beautiful
You’ve just got to see Ölüdeniz if you’re anywhere in the Fethiye area. Even if you don’t enjoy the ‘tourist scene,’ you’re really missing out if you don’t opt to visit. The scenery is amazing!
2. Ölüdeniz lagoon
The lagoon is what this area is famous for. Take a swim in the calm, clear waters or just sunbathe in stunning surroundings.
3. The private beaches of Ölüdeniz
Visit the private beaches around the far side of the lagoon. Camping, caravans and beach chalets are available for overnight stays if you like the outdoor life.
4. On-the-water activities
From the chilled out to the adrenalin water sports, there should be something to entertain you.
- The lagoon has pedalos and kayaks available – that’s the chilled out bit.
- Speed boats and inflatable bananas are available along Belcekiz Beach.
- Daily boat trips taking in Butterfly Valley and Gemiler (St. Nicholas) Island.
- And if you need to get away from it all, take the water taxi over to Butterfly Valley (Kelebek Vadısı).
5. Underwater activities
Scuba diving can be arranged through the agencies in the main resort area of Ölüdeniz.
6. Sky activities over Ölüdeniz
We’ve heard it said many times that Ölüdeniz looks better from above. Get a bit of height and you can see the landscape of the area and trace the shape of the beautiful coastline. There are a few ways to get some height in the area.
- Parascending – Fly through the air with the aid of a parachute and a speedboat.
- Microlight – There are various videos on the internet to look at if this is what you fancy doing. We spoke to a 70 odd year old woman a couple of years ago who’d done that and paragliding over a couple of days. She loved it.
- Paragliding – Apart from the lagoon, paragliding is probably what most people think of when they hear the name Ölüdeniz. Loads of companies in the resort doing this activity for reasonable prices.
Obviously, only a suitable activity in the cooler months but for me, a much more sensible option for getting some height and seeing Ölüdeniz from above. Try the hike from Kayaköy to Ölüdeniz. It only takes a couple of hours.
8. Wave jumping
The stunning azure waters around Belcekiz Beach can get a bit choppy around the shoreline. Enjoy the pummelling or swim out a mere 10 metres or so to get to calmer waters.
9. People watching
If all this sounds too much, take yourself off to one of the beach-front bars and watch everyone else taking part in the activities.
10. Ölüdeniz nightlife
We’ve only been to Ölüdeniz at night a few times and we usually head for a quiet restaurant. It’s a lot more lively than we thought it would be so it’s a case of take your pick. Quiet restaurants and bars, dancing, cocktails, barbecue nights at the private beaches…the list goes on.
How to get to Ölüdeniz from Fethiye
- The (air-conditioned) dolmuş leaves from Fethiye dolmuş station every few minutes and goes via the resorts of Ovacık and Hisarönü.
- If you’re planning a night out, check with the driver what time the last one leaves. At the moment – high season – the last dolmuş back to Fethiye is around 2am (1am from Fethiye to Ölüdeniz).
- Always check with the driver if you don’t want to end up in a taxi – taxis are not cheap!
- You can book hotel rooms in Ölüdeniz through Booking.com.