Scan through most city travel guides and it’s more than likely you’ll come across recommendations for those people who like to enjoy a drink while enjoying views from above the city. The roof terrace is an enticing addition to a bar or restaurant for many people (including us), often rewarding those who make the effort to get there with a whole new perspective on settings that are usually so familiar.
Well, we didn’t want our home city to be left out. There are lots of places for eating and drinking in Fethiye so we thought we’d sift through them all and start our very own series featuring the terrace bars of Fethiye – and, when we sat down to think about it, there are quite a few of them. We’ve already written about Cadde Cafe with its terrace views over the marina and so let’s continue the terrace theme with a long-standing feature on the Fethiye map, Cafe Geniş.
Cafe Geniş has been around for as long as we can remember, but it was only a few years ago that, during the winter months, the workmen arrived and began to practically knock the place down and start all over again. We stroll by here most days so we watched developments and, by and by, noticed the appearance of a new roof terrace. “Great idea,” we thought. A few other businesses along Fethiye harbour must have agreed with our thoughts because they subsequently set about constructing their own terraces! Yes, there is certainly no shortage of elevation along Fethiye harbour these days.
And, why not? Just look at the views. The cafes along this stretch of harbour have prime locations so why not make the most of them? And yet, head up to the terrace of Cafe Geniş in the daytime and you’ll probably have the place to yourself, while downstairs will have its usual smattering of passing custom.
Well, whatever the reason for the lack of upstairs population, we love to enjoy an Efes Pilsen while viewing the bay from a more elevated position. We can idle the time away, watching gülets and luxury yachts sail into the marina. We watch the Çalış water taxi puttering its way back and forth – and of course, we can also indulge in our other favourite pastime of watching the world go by (okay, people watching) from a less visible vantage point.
Cafe Geniş, Fethiye: Useful Info
- Cafe Geniş is along Fethiye harbour in Cumhuriyet Mahallesi, just behind the statue of Atatürk. View on our map of Fethiye.
- Despite the fantastic views from both the terrace and downstairs, a beer won’t cost you an arm and a leg. (6 TL Summer 2012).
- There is a menu but we use the harbourside cafes to meet and chat with friends over a drink so we’ve never eaten here.
- As with most of the bars and restaurants in Fethiye, Cafe Geniş have free wi-fi – and they also have sockets for those of you who need to recharge laptops and tablets.
- Cafe Geniş is open all year. Their open fire in the winter months has been a welcome sight on many occasions!