Menemen Recipe - Turkish Scrambled Eggs
One pan eggs, Turkish style! Menemen is healthy & filling and works as a breakfast recipe or a dish that can be eaten at any other time of day.
- 4 large free range eggs
- 1 large tomato or 3-4 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion peeled & finely shopped
- 2 green sivri biber or 1 small green bell pepper deseeded & finely chopped
- 1 handful parsley freshly chopped
- 2 tsp hot chilli flakes optional
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp thyme or oregano
- salt & pepper to season
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
Add a small glug of sunflower oil to a frying pan and heat gently.
First of all, add your onions and sauté for a few minutes until they become translucent.
Now add your green pepper and stir for a few minutes until it starts to soften.
Now stir in your chopped tomato and add your herbs and spices and salt and pepper.
Simmer over a low heat until your tomato cooks down to form a thick tomato sauce.
Crack your eggs into the pan and stir them until they are scrambled into the mixture.
Remove from the heat and garnish with your parsley.
Serve alone or as part of a larger breakfast.
- As with all of our recipes, calories are approximate and will differ depending on your ingredients.
- Turkish summer tomatoes are very large, hence we use only one. They are equivalent to 3-4 medium-sized vine tomatoes.
- If you want a richer flavour, you can add some crumbled feta cheese to your menemen recipe at the same time as your eggs.