Baked Fresh Anchovies (Fırında Hamsi Tava)
Winter is the time for enjoying Black Sea anchovies. Bake fresh anchovies in the oven for a light, healthy meal.
- 500 grams fresh anchovies gutted
- 3 tablespoons corn flour
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
For The Salad
- 1 handful rocket leaves washed
- 1 onion peeled & sliced into half moons
- pickled red cabbage optional
- 2 lemons cut into wedges
- 1 drizzle of pomegranate molasses
Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
Brush your oven tray with sunflower oil and arrange your floured anchovies onto the tray.
Now lightly drizzle oil over the top of your anchovies.
Place in the middle of your oven and bake for around 20 minutes until sizzling.
Meanwhile, mix your salad ingredients and arrange onto a plate (or prepare your bread bun if serving in bread).
Remove your sizzling anchovies from the oven and serve immediately.
- If you are serving your fresh anchovies with a side salad, 500 grams will serve 2-3 people.
If you are serving them in bread, you can serve 4 people.
- Ask your fishmonger to clean and gut your anchovies. There is no need to fillet them as you can eat the bones. They're very soft.
- We added pickled red cabbage as an ingredient because it goes well with hamsi and they are often served together.
- Calories per serving are approximate and are based on a 500 gram serving with sunflower oil.