Gavurdağı Salad - A Tomato & Walnut Salad
Gavurdağı Salatası is a healthy tomato & walnut salad that goes perfectly with grilled meat dishes. If you love strong flavours, Gavurdağı Salad is the one for you.
- 100 g walnuts
- 4 tomatoes deseeded & finely chopped
- 2 thin green peppers deseeded & finely chopped
- 1 red onion peeled & finely chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions trimmed & finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled & grated
- ½ bunch flat leaf parsley stems removed & leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 lemon juiced
Take your tomatoes, onions, peppers and parsley and add them to a shallow serving bowl and mix together.
Now add your chilli, sumac and mint and mix.
Drizzle your oil, lemon juice and pomegranate molasses (nar ekşisi) over the salad and stir everything together.
Now do a taste test and add more oil or nar ekşisi to taste.
Take roughly half of your walnuts and smash them up into and grainy pieces.
Break the other half into larger pieces.
Stir in the small pieces and use the larger pieces as a garnish on top.
- As with all of our recipes, calories per serving are approximate. This recipe makes approximately 4 servings. Calories are per serving.
- The texture of your Gavurdağı salad is down to your own personal preference. Some people like it to be more of a dip - in which case, you can add more oil, lemon or pomegranate.
- Likewise with the walnuts. Some servings of Gavurdağı salad will just have a garnish of smashed walnuts over the top. Others will have broken up walnuts. We like a mixture of the two.
- If you can't get pomegranate molasses (nar ekşisi), a mild vinegar such as balsamic will taste fine.
- If you have fresh pomegranate, it's also nice to add a bit of the fruit to the salad.