A comforting winter potato and broccoli soup recipe (patatesli brokoli çorbası). That’s what’s on the agenda. Well, it is winter!
We need warm, we need cosy – and potato and broccoli soup certainly fits that bill.
One of the great pleasures of our life in Turkey is the seasonal cooking and eating.
Yes, we are getting to that stage in Fethiye now where supermarkets are beginning to sell imported fruits and vegetables so that we have them on demand, year round.
But for us, there’s nothing better than going to the big market in Fethiye and stocking up on the latest seasonal produce that is in abundance. For starters, this produce is great for the food budget.
Eat seasonally; eat well; eat cheaply.
And when you’ve got a glut of something; that’s when you’re forced to get creative with different recipes.
And winter greens – the foods of dread during childhood – are very much on the menu right now. No longer dreaded, of course.
As 40-somethings, we’ve grown out of all that, now. We even get excited at the sight of all those rich greens piled high on the market stalls.
Buy now; worry about what to do with it all later.
Broccoli in its prime. It’s a beautiful, natural work of art isn’t it?
In Turkish restaurants, you’re likely to see broccoli in the meze fridge – a cold broccoli salad dressed with olive oil, lemon and garlic. Simplicity that celebrates the flavours, colour and texture of this vegetable perfectly.
We also like to eat broccoli with yoghurt. There aren’t many foods in Turkey where yoghurt is considered to be an unsuitable accompaniment.
But in the really cold winter months – and we do get some cold winters in Fethiye – it’s all about broccoli soup.
Thick and healthy and creamy – but without the cream. This is potato and broccoli soup.
Not only does the potato make the broccoli soup more filling, it also thickens it. And gives it a more creamy texture without upping the fat content as cream would.
The great thing about homemade soups is they’re easy. You can make a huge panful and they’re as healthy and tasty as you want them to be.
You have complete control of your ingredients – no hidden extras.
Potato and broccoli soup is winter comfort in a bowl…
Potato & Broccoli Soup Recipe – Patatesli Brokoli Çorbası
With this potato and broccoli soup recipe, we’re using as much of the broccoli and the potato as possible. That means we’re including the thick broccoli stem as well as the florets as they really help to flavour the soup.
As for the potato – that’s just going to be scrubbed clean.
No peeling necessary. We’re into this potato and broccoli soup recipe for the nutrients as well as the satisfying flavours.
Let’s make potato & broccoli soup…
Potato & Broccoli Soup
- 1 head of broccoli approx 500g, florets separated from stem & stem roughly chopped
- 1 large potato scrubbed & chopped into cubes
- 1 medium onion peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 dessert spoonful olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- salt & pepper to season
- Firstly, boil the kettle.
- Meanwhile, in a deep saucepan, gently heat your olive oil and add the onion.
- Stir the onion until it starts to sweat and then add the potato.
- Stir around and then add your chopped broccoli stems.
- Now add your paprika, chilli and seasoning and stir into the vegetables.
- Turn the heat to high and pour enough boiling water into the pan to cover your vegetables.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for around 15 minutes until your broccoli stems soften.
- Now chop your broccoli florets into bite-sized chunks and add to the pan.
- Add more water to just cover the florets and return the lid to the pan.
- Simmer for another 10-15 mins until your florets have softened.
- Now remove your pan from the heat and blend.
- Add more water to get your potato and broccoli soup to the desired consistency.
- Serve your potato and broccoli soup with a wedge of fresh crusty bread.
- As with all of our recipes, the calories per serving of potato and broccoli soup are meant as a rough guide. The number will vary depending on the size of your vegetables.
- We serve our potato and broccoli soup with a drizzle of olive oil.
- For more flavour, you could also stir in some Parmesan cheese just before serving.
This is a very healthy broccoli soup recipe and you’ve probably noticed the lack of dairy products in it.
If you want to make it a more indulgent soup, you can add a swirl of olive oil. Or sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese into the soup just before you serve it.
And, as with all soups in Turkey – and other Turkish recipes for that matter – this potato and broccoli soup just would not be the same without first taking a trip to the local bakery and buying some fresh crusty bread.
Tear off a chunk to eat with your soup. And all the better if your bread is still warm, fresh from the oven!
Alternative Serving Suggestion For Potato & Broccoli Soup
We have a friend who loves broccoli but who has a thing about green soup. She can’t eat it.
If you know someone like this or if you just want to add a bit of warmth of colour, add a good pinch of turmeric to your potato and broccoli soup.
We also topped this one with some small, fried halloumi croutons for a contrast of texture. If you’ve not tried this, give it a go. Lovely!